This is one of the door bells of the Sri Mariamman Temple along South Bridge Road. It was gazetted as a monument on 28 Jun 1973.
The oldest Hindu temple in Singapore, it was originally built of timber and thatch in 1827 by Narayana Pillay. The present brick building was built between 1827 and 1847 by craftsmen from India. It is now a place of worship to the Hindus as well as a place of interests to tourists, local and foreign.
Interestingly, there is another temple with the same name in the Chinatown of Ho Chi Minh City.